Tuesday 21 June 2011

"Offence" (Home-Recording)

'Offence' – perhaps one of my favorite obscure compositions. It was originally written around 2001 during The Absence days (but never intended for the band) and fully re-written in 2007, with a little help from Mrs Y on the lyrics.

In 2007, I was recording some songs with a female folk singer, and wanting to drag her a bit more into the pop-world, I revisited 'Offence'. I gave it a higher melody line and a truly Elviscostellian sarcastic and biting lyric.
In the end, I never really suggested it to her, fearing it didn't suit her voice after all (and that the 'I' didn't sound too womanly after all), but recorded my own version soon after that (May 2007).


The result was a rather carefully crafted acoustic song, with gritty electric guitar and some very expressive drumwork (still drummed on the keys of a keyboard in those days).



Who does the song address? Whoever choses to take offence :)

1 comment:

  1. Costello meets Lennon!

    Great song Geert, I like this one.

    I wish I had the time to do some of this work, maybe when I'm 64! Ha Ha Ha!

    ¦¬)

    ReplyDelete